Call for Proposals: CERES Summer School 2017
Engaging with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG): Gaps, Opportunities and Challenges
Sustainable development has become a "buzz word" in the discourse on and the arena of international development. The Sustainable Development Goals, drafted by the United Nations in 2015 for the period until 2030, are now the foremost framework for action but also for academic research. However, the term sustainable development means different things to different people and remains contentious. As the year 2030 draws near, there is need for the world to re-examine the concept and the various targets that have been set, as well as the tensions between them, and to assess how the agenda can be moved forward.
In order to understand the dilemma’s and draw upon from various schools of thoughts on the matter, CERES will be hosting the 2017 summer school premised on three interesting questions:
- What has been the role of the academia in promoting sustainable development at International, regional and national levels?
- How has academia managed to link the theory and practise of sustainable development so that there is a fruitful connection between the two?
- What is the political economy of sustainable development and international goal setting, and how can it be criticized?
Aim of the Summer School
The aim of the Summer school is to bring together young and senior academics from the international development community in the Netherlands and beyond to present and discuss their research within the framework of the SDGs. The Summer School is inviting papers that will address the following themes:
- Human Welfare and Development
- Economic Growth and Development
- Environmental and Climate Management
- Governance, Social Justice and Cooperation
- The Digital era and Development
It is also open for presentations on other topics in the field of International Development.
Important dates and information
- Deadline of Abstract Submission : 21 April 2017
- Notification of Accepted Abstract : 12 May 2017
- CERES Summer school : 22 June 2017
Where: Utrecht University, Achter St. Pieter 200, Raadszaal, Netherlands
CERES does not charge a fee for its summer school.
An abstract of 300 words (including title, author names, affiliation) should be emailed to the organising committee by 21 April 2017 at the following address: email@example.com
If you have questions please contact us by email, using the email above.
Members of the organizing committee:
- Maarten Bavinck - CERES
- Marielle Feenstra – University Twente
- Adwoa Yeboah Gyapong – Institute of Social Studies
- Roy Matika - Institute of Social Studies
- Iris Schuitemaker – University of Amsterdam
- Yuyun Wahyuningrum - Institute of Social Studies
- Harry Wels – VU Amsterdam, African Studies Centre
Written by CSDS Intern Megan Romania